Travel InformationClimate in Guanacaste
In the Guanacaste region there are much less precipitation than the rest of Costa Rica. The rainy season lasts from late May until November with little bit rain and consistent heat. The summer season lasts from November to April with rather hot and dry climate. Guanacaste, however, can easily be visited all year round. Current weather data Instituto Meteorológico Nacional of Costa Rica for the Santa Rosa Zone, 5 Miles south of Cañas Castilla.
|Month||Temperature °C||Water °C||Precipitation||Sunshine|
|minimum||maximum||Days per month||Hours per day|
Light summer clothes are perfect in Guanacaste, coastal regions of the North Pacific and Nicaragua. Rain protection must also be present in your luggage.
Getting there from San Jose --> Liberia --> Cañas Castilla
The distance from the International Airport Daniel Oduber Quirós (LIR) in Liberia (Guanacaste) to Sonzapote (Cañas Castilla) are 97 km. From Liberia, take the Interamerican Highway north to Peñas Blancas (border crossing into Nicaragua). You reach Sonzapote on the Interamerican Highway only 5 km north of La Cruz. The sign "Cañas Castilla" is located directly at the entrance of Sonzapote on the right side of the road. Then follow the signs and after a further 2 km you can reach the finca Cañas Castilla.
Getting there from Nicaragua --> Rivas --> Peñas Blancas --> Cañas Castilla
The distance from Rivas (Nicaragua) to Peñas Blancas (Border crossing to Costa Rica) are 35 km. Then continue on the Interamerican Highway and after a further 13.4 km you reach to Sonzapote. The sign "Cañas Castilla" is located directly at the entrance of Sonzapote on the left side of the road. Then follow the signs and after a further 2 km you can reach the finca Cañas Castilla.
Entry and exit
- Depending on the country that will determine the amount of days available to stay in the country as a tourist.
- In some cases, the Immigration official may request that you show economic solvency for your stay in the country.
- Even when you could have a 90-day tourist visa, the immigration official may assess the amount of time of your stay allowed on your passport.
- Visitors to Costa Rica must have a valid passport as well as proof that they will be exiting the country before their visa or entry stamp expires, usually within 90 days.
- All travelers must have either a return ticket or a ticket showing they will be exiting the country, commonly referred to as an "outbound, exit or onward ticket."
If you need more information please click here.
Costa Rica by bus
- Always keep an eye on your luggage. Try to keep small luggage with you when you are on the bus.
- Don’t pay attention to suspicious people. Try to ignore them.
- It is best to pay for bus tickets in colones. Watch your money in public places.
- Store your passport in a safe place. Always carry a photocopy of it with you. Be aware of your surroundings.
- If you get lost, look for a public place to ask for information.
- In case of emergency or if you need assistance, call 911.
- Victims assistance office, tel: 2295-3271/ 2295-3565
- Report any theft or harassment to the police station.
Instituto Costarricense de Turismo (ICT), detailed information about bus travels in Costa Rica. Download file in Adobe PDF format: [Official bus route]
Public Bus from San José to La Cruz or Liberia
Transportes DELDU S.A., San José - Alajuela - Liberia - La Cruz
Grayline Tours, San José - Liberia
Tica Bus San José - Alajuela - Liberia - La Cruz
Transnica, San José - Alajuela - Liberia - La Cruz
Costa Rica (road map with scale)
Time zone: Central Standard Time (CST), UTC: -6:00 Time Zone difference from San Jose Costa Rica: [The World Clock].
The currency of Costa Rica was in honor of Christopher Columbus (Cristobal Colon = Colones). The currency symbol is the "C" and a bar"₡" and the official abbreviation "CRC". Small monetary units are 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, 100 and 500 colones. The new bills are issued in currency units of 1.000, 2.000, 5.000, 10.000, 20.000 and 50.000 colones. Currency Converter: [http://www.oanda.com].